Thursday, August 5, 2010

One of the most difficult things I've ever done...


Friends, family and colleagues,

“You have B cell follicular non-Hodgkin lymphoma.” 

Last October those were the words I heard as I was diagnosed with cancer.  The circumstances under which I received the diagnosis were miraculous, and I'll be happy to share them with any of you who haven't heard the incredible story.  Still, at age 40 to receive a diagnosis of cancer was, to say the least, difficult!  I underwent 17 radiation treatments in the month of November (2009), which was probably one of the most difficult things I’ve done so far in my life.  In the end, I completed all 17 treatments, was pronounced “cancer free” in January of this year, and just this past July I had my first 6 month check-up, and received word that I’m still cancer free!

All of this would not have been possible had it not been for the incredible medical and research staff of the Huntsman Cancer Hospital, Huntsman Cancer Institute, and Huntsman Cancer Foundation.  Which brings me to the second most difficult thing I’ve done.  Because Huntsman literally saved my life, I am attempting to raise $20,000 in donations earmarked 100% for Huntsman Cancer Foundation.  That in and of itself is difficult (that’s more than I’ve ever raised at one time for any charity for which I’ve fundraised).  But, to make it even more difficult, I am looking to raise those funds by September 11- the day I race 206 miles in my sixth LOTOJA (http://www.lotojaclassic.com) race.

Here’s how I arrived at $20,000:
Between my e-mail address book, Facebook friends, LinkedIn contacts, etc., I think I can get to approximately 1,000 individuals.  If all 1,000 of them donate just $20, I’m there!
Now, not all 1,000 of those folks will donate for one reason or another, and that’s OK.  So, let’s say 500 of them donate just $40- I’m still there!
And, if all I raise is the fundraising minimum for Huntsman Hometown Heroes ($1,000), I’ve still helped out those who can benefit from cancer research, and I’m still there!

So, I’m sending this e-mail to each of you.  I apologize, but I fear a few may receive duplicates of this e-mail- I’m sorry.  Regardless, if you feel you could donate to help with cancer research, and help me reach my difficult goal of $20,000, please click here- http://www.huntsmancancerfoundation.org/toddhandy

I’ll thank you all in advance for anything you feel you can do.  I’ll continue to post updates of fundraising progress on my blog (www.toddhandy.blogspot.com), and also via Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/toddhandy).

Thank you for your relationship with me, and for your love and support!

With best regards,

Todd

PS- PLEASE feel free to forward the e-mail, share the link to the blog, retweet on Twitter and share on Facebook!  The more people this can go to, the more potential to help raise funds!

No comments:

Post a Comment